Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Oh the places we'll go...Part 2.

Downtown Cleveland, Ohio.
On to Day 2 of the Yesterday Reclaimed road trip adventure (if you happened to miss yesterday's post, you can read all about Day 1 here).

After spending the night in Downtown Cleveland, we woke up and realized we had run into another little snag in our trip. While our sidewalk parking job seemed to be a genius plan, when we attempted to leave Saturday morning, the road the was closed due to a local 5k race. Like usual, we rolled with the punches. We asked a local about a good breakfast spot, and he sent us to Addy's (actually, he sent us to "Abby's", but with a little iPhone research, we managed to figure out where we were going). It was a perfect little city diner, which filled us up with the ideal "greasy spoon" breakfast and diner coffee. Can't ask for much more. 

We killed enough time walking around the city for the race to end and the road to reopen and headed out for Seville, Ohio. Seville is home to the Funky Junk Boutique, which is owned and operated by the very awesome Shell Venus. Just like Joe at GM, Shell found YR via the internet. She reached out to us a couple weeks ago about becoming a YR retailer, and as they say in the movies, it was the start of a beautiful friendship. 

Shell and I have been working with each other for the past couple weeks, deciding which pieces would work best for her store. I think I can speak for the entire YR team when I say we are always up for a road trip to meet our new retail partners. It just happened to be super convenient that Shell's store was somewhat on the way home from Detroit. So, we put a rush on her order, and made sure it was loaded on our truck with all the GM goodies. 

As soon as we pulled into Seville, I was in love. It's an adorable, small town with a Main Street full of antique stores (aka Mecca). I could have picked Funky Junk out from a mile away, because Shell had great signage and an awesome display window. Since we had been chatting for a couple weeks, I knew we had similar taste, so there was no doubt that I'd adore her boutique.


Funky Junk Boutique - Downtown Seville, Ohio.
Turns out, Shell was just as excited as we were about our delivery. Once we found a place to park our truck (notice a theme?) we started unloading, and before we could get the first piece off the truck, Shell was there to greet us. I think she and I are kindred spirits, in that she's the type of shop-owner who isn't afraid to get her hands dirty...and I love that! She jumped right in, grabbed a piece of furniture and helped us unload. Go, Shell! 


My sweet blue dresser.
Shell & Roque.
The closer I got to her store, the more I loved it. The window was merchandised beautifully, in the unique way that compares to the display-gods at Anthropologie. As I walked inside, it only got better. She had colorful pieces of vintage furniture (which she refinishes herself), mixed with jewelry, home decor accessories and architectural salvage finds. I immediately knew I wouldn't be walking out empty-handed. As Shell gave me the tour, she also showed me her stockroom, where a great piece of furniture was awaiting me. I loved everything about it, especially the blue pop of color. 

Before she could tell me about this fabulous dresser, the words "Oh, I'm buying that" came out of my mouth. And if you know me, you know that's exactly what I did. You can now find this gorgeous piece of furniture right here at Green Roost. 

Shell was quick to throw up some sweet shots of the YR furniture on her facebook page, so make sure to click over and check them out (plus, read all about this rockin' little store).
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.

After Roque and I both made some purchases, we checked out a couple more of the stores that Seville has to offer, and then packed up our trailer and hit the road. As we headed home, we made one more pit stop in Pittsburgh, PA. We are both self-proclaimed foodies, and I've been waiting a long time to try a Primanti Brothers "almost famous" sandwich. This iconic creation consists of corned beef (or a meat of your choice) on homemade Italian bread, coleslaw, provolone cheese, tomato and a handful of french fries (their website has a great summary of their history; totally worth checking out).

I always worry when I'm trying a "renowned" food, because most of the time it doesn't live up to the hype. This was not the case with the Primanti sandwich. It was awesome. Enough said.

At this point, we were sitting fat and happy and ready to drive the last 4 hours home. We pulled back into Culpeper around 7:30 Saturday night, and we were thrilled to be off the road; in only 36 hours, we covered 5 states and 1,200 miles. Needless to say, we were exhausted. However, I'd do it again in a heartbeat; we met some great people, ate some rockin' food and saw a good chunk of this beautiful country. Pretty ideal road trip, if you ask me. 

Don't forget to keep reading the blog, because Monday, June 3rd I'll be posting the final details of our GM-leg of the road trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment